If you’re thinking about starting a TPT store, there are a million questions that you’re asking yourself right now! “What seller account do I need?” “How do I get started?” “How do I choose a niche?” are just a few of them. I know it because not only have I been there, but I’ve answered them for lots of new sellers. Although it may seem daunting to open a Teachers Pay Teachers store, but the truth is that it’s easy and rewarding.
If you’re ready to take the leap but just want some answers first, you’re in the right place at the right time! About a week ago I sat down on Zoom for a really fun interview with Elliott at EntreEducator to answer these questions and more.
I love talking about my TPT business; I also have a passion for helping fellow teacherpreneurs launch their dream business. You can check out the interview on Youtube by clicking here, but read on to get the basics of starting a store!
Can I be successful starting a TPT store?
In one short answer: YES! You can absolutely be successful selling on TPT, and here’s why:
- The market is changing. Educational models and methods have drastically shifted over the past 15 months. That means teachers are scrambling to find curriculum materials that meet their needs. This means it’s essentially a fresh, new market and it’s anyone’s game.
- Your ideas are different than everyone else’s. If you create the things you generate your own ideas for, they’re going to be uniquely you. Even if someone sells something similar, it’s not going to be everyone’s cup of tea. Your product will fit someone’s needs perfectly.
- If it’s something you’re passionate about, you’ll do it. We know that when we’re doing something we love it’s easier, more fun and we stick with it. This is true for selling on Teachers Pay Teachers as well. Follow through and you’ll be making passive income in no time.
Do I need a logo?
Logos are great; they’re cute, they help you stand out, and they represent your brand. But don’t obsess over this right now. Choose a name or just use your own. Use a photo of yourself as the store photo for now.
The longer you spend worrying about this small detail, you’re losing out on sales, product creation time and productivity. This area isn’t where your primary focus should be right now.
A logo and a brand will come in time. In fact most sellers rebrand after their first year or two! I have rebranded twice since I started selling before I came up with the name, image and logo that I have now (The Real-Life Teacher).
Now my brand fits me perfectly, but there was trial and error and growth involved to get here. The point is you just have to start becasue it’s not all going to come together immediately.
How do I choose a niche?
A niche is the area of expertise you are known for. Not everyone has one, and not everyone wants one. And that’s totally fine, too!
Start by making things you already have ideas for. If you don’t currently have any ideas, start a notebook or digital note on your phone and think of things you want to make.
The products you make should be directed to grade levels, content areas and subjects that you are familiar with and understand well. You have to know your subject matter to know if it’s relevant for the grade level(s) you’re making it for! If you’re a kindergarten teacher like me, you’re not going to sell high school novel studies because you have never taught them and don’t understand the complexities of them.
When you start selling, make things that fall into one or more of these categories:
- A product you need for your classroom use
- A subject that you know well and love
- A subject that you are passionate about
- A product that you’ve dreamt up (a great idea popped into your head)
You’ll eventually find a product line, idea or subject that you love creating that sells really well, and you can focus on that niche in the future. For now, just get creating!
I need help starting a TPT store.
You’re in the right place, my friend! I’ve made it one of my personal missions to help teachers who want to start businesses. I think we should all succeed, and I’ve created a ton of courses to help you do just that!
If you want some personal guidance, instruction and help opening, planning and creating products for your TPT store, you need to check out my course Successful Selling on TPT!
This course contains everything you need to have a store up and running and making money in 30 days! I walk you step by step to
- open your store on TPT
- set up your store
- create your first products for sale
- write great descriptions and titles
- create eye-catching product covers and previews for your products
- publicize your products to make more profit
Not only do I teach you everything you need to know and answer every question you have, but you also get the following to ensure that you can’t fail:
- 24/7 support in a members-only Facebook group
- Free templates to make creating your products even easier
- Deals and freebies on fonts, images, clip art and more
- Step by step guides for product creation
- Tutorials for Powerpoint and Google Slides product creating
- Money-making secrets other TPT sellers won’t tell you
- and more!
If you’re not pumped up yet, click here to read more about the course and see all the awesomeness inside! You can be a teacher seller faster than you think, you just have to take the first step.